- “You are my Lord. I have no good apart from you.” (v.2)
- Everything good is found in God.
- Recognition opens our eyes to the Source of every good thing: Jesus.
- Anything truly good in life is just a droplet from the Fountain.
2. Running from God
- “Sorrows are multiplied for those who chase after other gods.” (v. 4)
- Though we may not bow down to images, our hearts are idol factories.
- Life becomes bitter and sorrowful when we pursue our own passions and desires apart from Christ.
- Far too often we search for answers and satisfaction in other things/people instead of seeking God as both the beginning and ending to the question.
- We chase the wind, pursue our own passions, and seek our own happiness in the idol factories of our heart.
- “You are my chosen portion.” (v. 5-7)
- The word “chosen” is beautiful as it depicts us choosing God over other things.
- While God is the portion for His children, we have to choose Him—again and again.
- My life is secure in His hands.
- “I have a beautiful inheritance” as a child of God
- He is my counselor.
4. Right Place
- “I have set the Lord always before me.” (v. 8)
- Look to Him, seek Him, focus and center on Him.
- He is with me. I will not be shaken.
- “My heart is glad and my whole being rejoices.” (v. 9)
- Joy is found in Jesus when we know that our lives are secure in Him.
- Unspeakable joy. Ahhh…it’s so precious and makes my heart sing.
- Jesus, “You make known to me the path of life.” “Fullness of joy is found in your presence.” (v. 11)
- We can’t know God’s will without seeking Him, asking Him for wisdom.
- Hearts and lives living disconnected from Jesus will not see His way.
- We find joy in Jesus. This joy can be found in the most awful situations, as it is not dependent on circumstances. It is dependent on our Savior.